Friday, May 9, 2008

Do you believe?

No, I don't mean in Santa Claus! I was working with a teacher over the past few months on a project that incorporated her creative writing classes and technology. How, you ask? Well, let me explain.

Oh, about 50 years ago a guy you may know Edward R. Murrow was producing a show called SEE IT NOW on CBS. Murrow was definitely interested in the common person perspective and he started a program called "This I Believe" on public radio in the United States. The results were amazing. Now, I wasn't around in those years, but I have listened to so many of the archived recordings I have lost count. Some are inspiring; others are not. Some are academic; others are not. It doesn't really matter the theme of each recording, the listener could literally hear into the heart of people, to see a side of them that you would never see. This I Believe was something special.

Now, time travel to 2008 and see how that can work in the classroom. As teachers we all want our students to write and write well. I remember my English teachers telling my class to write and giving us different themes or topics to write about. I wrote, as did our class, and the teacher marked it, returned it and I looked at the mark and then what happened? You're right...it ended up in the trash can or at the bottom of my locker. But that was a long time ago as well.

Now...Students are given a writing assignment to write abut something they are passionate about(their theme or topic). They are then told that they will be recording their writing to be published on a website/blog/wiki(not the trash can or locker).

In the project I am currently working on, the students have been working hard to create writing pieces that are well-written and having them record their own voice is adding a whole new dimension for them and the teacher. The project is breathing new life into creative writing. Is there an impact on student achievement? I can't tell that. What I can tell is that there is an increase in student engagement and that I believe will lead us to the path all teachers and administrators want; increased achievement.

No comments: